Monday, October 7, 2013

Dehydrating Eggs

I did the math and there's really no reason for me to dehydrate eggs.

#10 can of powdered whole eggs from Shelf Reliance costs $22.29 at the moment. It is listed as having 216 eggs inside... or servings, and one egg is a serving so same thing. That's 18 dozen. I sell eggs for $2 a dozen, so I make $36 on 18 dozen eggs. I could sell 36 dozen eggs and buy the equivalent of 54 dozen, already dried and neatly packaged for my convenience.

So why am I dehydrating eggs?



I'm a masochist, that's why.

The trick with DIY powdered eggs is to do it wet. If you cook your eggs and then dehydrate them, they'll be disgusting when you re-hydrate to eat. If you're going to get all handwringy and cry about e coli or salmonella then be gone with you now. Nasty chicken houses breed nasty diseases, and we're not running a battery farm here and hopefully neither are you. My grandmother used to go out into the coop and crack an egg right there by the nest and drink it down raw and she lived to her late 80s and it was the hole in her heart that killed her, not some filthy chicken farm bacteria. While I'll pass on that gag inducing snack, it is but one of a million examples of people not getting sick off of eggs from healthy chickens living in healthy environments.

Anyhoo...

Since I don't have the right trays to dehydrate liquids, and our dehydrator has been long since discontinued and I can't buy the liners online, I resorted to cutting liners from wax paper instead. This isn't perfect and tends to leak a bit around the inner hole, plus it doesn't want to lay flat, but it works.


Eggs into the blender, scramble well, then pour into liner. The thinner the better so don't try to cram a dozen to a tray. I spread a dozen out over all the trays. The reason for this is that the eggs will dry on top first, leaving a gelatinous mess beneath them. You'll have to go in and scrape it loose to turn it over, otherwise that part underneath will never dry. Better to go thin and avoid that.


Once it's all dry, I dump it into a big bowl where it naturally breaks up into small pieces. See how shiny it is? It feels oily at this point.


Into the food processor it goes, and I whizz it down to a nice crumble.


Like my ancient food processor? Proof you don't need anything fancy to get the job done. I got this off Craigslist for $5, and the nice elderly lady who sold it to me threw in a handful of freshly baked oatmeal cookies. Mmmmm cookies....


Now that it's down to a crumble, I put it back into the dehydrator to get the last of the wet dried off. I just don't trust that oily feel. Another 4-6 hours in here will have it dry and perfect.


Into the mason jar it goes. Looks like powdered cheese doesn't it? That's 2 1/2 dozen there, and the quart jar will hold right at 4 dozen. Total drying time is around 24 hours with my old dehydrator that has no settings. I have no idea what an Excalibur could do. Some day I shall find out. :D


Oh, almost forgot. The mix is 2:1 water to eggs, and theoretically 1 tsbp egg, 2 tsbp water equals 1 whole egg.


No comments:

Post a Comment