Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Haphazard Prepper's Food Storage Calculator


Probably every prepper who has been around longer than a minute knows about the LDS food storage calculator. It's where a lot of us got our foot in the pantry door. There's other prepping calculators out there, some that go so far as to estimate the number of razor blades and bottles of motor oil you need to store, but for a noob looking to get started without having a panic attack, the LDS calculator is a good place to begin.

Unless you have issues with gluten. Or don't eat processed sugar. Or don't eat soy. Or hate lima beans. Or store rice for your dogs. Like me. So, I took the LDS calculator and tweaked it to better reflect what *I* store, and added a calculator to figure up a year's worth of rabbit and chicken feed (assuming confined animals eating only bagged feed). I also added in so it'll add extra rice and canned veg for my dogs based on the total weight of all the dogs on the feed bill. My EZ Dog Food mix is 1:1:1 rice:meat:green beans.

Granted if TSHTF I will eat biscuits and beans and just suffer the consequences, but I'm not going to be stocking 300 pounds of wheat seed... and why the hell do people call it wheat berries? Wheat makes seed, not berries....

Family Members, Ages 7+
Family Members, Ages 0-6
Dogs, 100 lbs
Chickens
Rabbits

Haphazard Prepper 1 Year Food Hoardage:
Carbs
Popcorn
 lbs
Oatmeal
 lbs
Rice
 lbs
Pasta
 lbs
Inst Potato
 lbs
Total Carby Foods
 lbs

Fats and Oils
Lard
 lbs
Coconut Oil
 lbs
Mayonnaise*
 qts
Olive Oil
 qts
Peanut Butter
 lbs
Total Fats
 lbs

Beans 'n Soup
Beans, dry
 lbs
Dry Soup Mix
 lbs
Total Beans 'n Soup
 lbs

Canned Food**
Veg
 cans
Meat
 cans
Total Canned
 cans
 
Sugars
Honey
 lbs
Sugar
 lbs
Brown Sugar
 lbs
Molasses
 lbs
Total Sugars
 lbs

Milk
Dry Milk***
 lbs
Evap Milk
 can
Other
 lbs
Total Dairy
 lbs

Cooking Essentials
Baking Powder
 lbs
Baking Soda
 lbs
Salt
 lbs
Vinegar
 gal

Water
Water
 gal
Bleach
 gal
Pool Shock
 lbs

Critters
Chickens
 50 lb bags
Rabbits
 50 lb bags

CHANGES FROM LDS
*Mayo - I make my own using an egg and walnut oil so I don't stock mayo. If you're like me then just add the mayo amount to your olive oil number.

**Canned Food- I set this up using a standard can of corn or chili as the size, with the assumption it will feed 2 adults and 2 children under 7.

***Dry Milk- I linked to Morning Moos in the 5 gallon bucket because I have that, but if you can spare the $$ Nido is WAY better tasting.

I don't eat wheat and if I do use flour it's almond or coconut. We do go through a LOT of instant potatos though so I added that and then redistributed the wheat/flour amounts among the stuff I can eat, like rice, potatoes, etc. Cornmeal is rarely used as well so I store popcorn, which lasts forever and grinds to a wonderful cornmeal.

We rarely eat beans and never eat soy or lentils. However dry beans are the cheapest prep around so I stock them, along with plenty of GasX.

The main oils I use are olive, walnut, avocado, and coconut. I don't buy canola or corn oil or salad dressings. I also use lard on occasion, so I changed the fats for those instead.

The jello, corn syrup, and fruity drink mix are gone because I never use that processed crap (plus I don't have kids to placate). I stock up on Vit C instead of sugary drink mixes.

I also jacked the vinegar and baking soda WAY up since I use tons of both for things besides cooking. Added in pool shock under water. Since bleach has a shelf life of 6 months, you're better off stashing away cheap pool shock for water purification needs. (I also keep a LOT of activated charcoal on hand but didn't add it to this)

Peanut butter is one of those things I stock but don't really eat. Normally we eat almond or cashew butter. However the life span of Peter Pan Peanut Butter is comparable to a Twinkie (I have some that's 10 years old and it's fine) so for long term storage I keep it on hand.

As a last note, this is NOT all I stock, but it IS the backbone of my food storage plan. We also keep multiple deep freezers full of meat, as well as maintain chickens and rabbits, fruit trees, several gardens, and the aquaponics setup that I'm supposed to be working on now instead of twisting off on this blog. I'd hate to think I had to spend a year eating nothing but canned food, rice and beans, but at least I know I've got enough to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment